Sunday, May 1, 2016

Serra do Ibitipoca: the trip


After my mom's death in March of 2014, I decided to explore the outside world again, and went on a trip to Minas Gerais where I visited a State Park at Serra do Ibitipoca.

I took a bus that could roll downhill any minute. But locals seem not to be aware of the danger. I focused on the scenic drive.
Then I got to the village of Conceicao do Ibitipoca.
Many homes would look like this.
But it is actually dominated by this kind.
Beautiful expensive hotels for my pocket. So I stayed at an apartment with three bedrooms and more beds than I could count. The only thing that they didn't have and probably the one that I needed most besides cell phone signal was the internet connection.
But the park was a few kilometers away.
I stopped by a cafe to charge myself with caffeine.  As any touristic place, everything looks upscale, but it is in truth just overcharged.
Then, I took the road.
 Three kilometers of uphill walk. I understand now why there is a bus to the park entrance.

Well, by the time I arrived at the entrance, I was already on top of the mountain.
I saw I gigantic wall with stream of dark water running at its feet.


I took a trail to the lake.


Mirror Lake says the sign.

Found a waterfall, a stream, but I am still to find a lake, a mirrorlike one.
And then it became flat.

Different.

Sometimes pretty.
Definitely thirsty. 
I wished this were amber ale while drinking straight from the stream.


Then, I changed direction. Steps to the top?




WOW!


Walking down to find the stream running through the rock wall.


Then I followed the stream.

I also dunk my feet into the cold water.



Heaven.



 Majestic!




1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am Nerissa, a Filipino living in Italy.
    We just started a website dedicated to the lives of all those living in a country other than the one where they were born. Thru PeopleAbroad.org we intend to increase connections, awareness, and understanding among people.
    We would like to ask you to contribute as an author to the website by writing even one single post with photos and/or videos about the region of the world you live in. Your post can be externally linked to your personal websites, blogs, Facebook pages, Twitter account, and/or anything else you like, in order to promote your own activity.
    If possible, we would also like you to write your story (bio - where you live and how you decided to live your life abroad) – example: https://www.peopleabroad.org/nerissa-filipino-living-in-italy/.
    To become an author, it is not necessary to live in a different country from where you were born, but simply to know a bit of the world by having lived, studied, or traveled abroad.
    Please, sign up to our website at https://www.peopleabroad.org/register/ and send all your files with things you would like to share (your story or your posts) by email to people(at)peopleabroad(dot)org. In case of big files, send them by WETRANSFER.
    Since this website is still under construction, we do not have yet made it available to search engines for indexation. So, to access it, just type www.PeopleAbroad.org.
    We are just starting and that is why your help is essential. We would love to see you onboard!
    All the best,
    Nerissa
    PeopleAbroad.org

    ReplyDelete